This stovetop barbecue chicken recipe is written for two, but it is easy to scale. (Using a lid speeds up the cooking process, which is especially great for busy cooks making weeknight dinners.)
You will love this juicy stovetop barbecue chicken any of our homemade sauces.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- dash of cayenne pepper, optional
- ½ c. barbecue sauce
- Mix olive oil, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add raw chicken and coat evenly.
- Heat medium skillet (preferably iron) over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in skillet, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken, replace cover, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and check chicken for doneness with probe thermometer or testing if juices run clear. When cooked completely, pour half of BBQ sauce over chicken. Turn chicken over, and pour remaining sauce over the other side. Cook 2-3 minutes more while using a spoon or basting brush to coat chicken with sauce.